In our ever changing world, there are now so many choices we have to make on a daily basis. What coffee should I get this morning? Should I take the elevator or the stairs? What am I having for dinner tonight? Will this be a night in or a night out? But the one question that should be most pressing to drivers on the road today is, what type of gas should I be using in my Mazda?

This article will be used to provide some insight into the differences, benefits, and general knowledge about the different gas options that are available to choose from.

   
   

    Best gas type for my vehicle at Jack Giambalvo Mazda | Man filling up his car at the gas station

   
        

What are all of these buttons at the pump and what do they mean?

When you pull up to the pump to fill up your tank, do you really know what kind of gas you are putting into your vehicle or is it just what you are used to doing/have been told what to do? Well, let's take a look at the different types of gas out there and what they all mean.

Let's start with the basics:

  • Octane Rating: Also known as an octane number is a standard measure of engine gasoline against compression. The higher a number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating.
  • Regular Gas: 87 Octane: This type of gas is the go to for most manufacturers. It will make your car run efficiently but may not offer the best performance like the higher octane levels. This gas is the most cost effective and will help you achieve your goal of getting from point A to point B.
  • Mid-Grade or Plus Gas: 89 Octane: Some vehicles' engines require a higher octane gasoline and that is why some manufacturers suggest the 89 Octane or Mid-Grade/Plus Gasoline.
  • Premium Gas: 92 Octane: For high performance vehicles with engines that have high compression ratios or turbochargers, premium gas is the route to go. The manufacturer will also recommend that you use Premium Gas if you purchase their vehicle. Most of the time, the sport and luxury vehicles are going to require this type of gas, but keep in mind that there are a few "regular style" vehicles that require this type as well. If your vehicle doesn't require this type of gasoline, you shouldn't spend your money on this as it is expensive and could cause damage to your vehicle.
  • E85: Flex Fuel: Is a newer gasoline that has been released and is only 15% real gasoline. The other 85% is plant-based, renewable ethanol. Oftentimes, this gas is cheaper at the pump, but you should make sure that your vehicle is equipped to use E85. Putting this gas in a non-Flex Fuel vehicle can cause damage over time and may actually ruin fuel lines in older vehicles.
  • E15/E20/E30: Ethanol Blends: Some gas stations now have another option called Ethanol Blends. The number beside the E is the percentage of ethanol mixed into the gasoline. You may be able to use these in your car if it is a 2002 or newer. They can help save you money and reduce dependence on fossil fuels. Please check with your specific manufacturer first and do more research before using an E gasoline in your vehicle!
   
 

What type of gas should I be using for my Mazda?

       

Lucky for you, the kind of gasoline you should choose should be stated in your vehicle's instruction manual and/or you should be told about this at the time of purchase. Using the correct type of gasoline for your vehicle is important because it can cause damage to the vehicle if not used correctly. Also, high octane does not always mean better performance and using something outside of the manufacturer's suggestion could end up being a very costly mistake.

If you drive an older vehicle or a classic car, you may want to consider using a higher octane gas. Vintage cars are more prone to knocking and a mid-grade or premium gas might help prevent this problem. As older vehicles do not have a knock sensor or a system that can detect and recalibrate. Without this, the engine could malfunction or holes could get blown in the pistons. To keep this from happening, you may want to consider fueling your classic cars with a higher octane gas.

     

Best gas type for my vehicle at Jack Giambalvo Mazda | 2020 Mazda6 driving on a backroad
  
       
Best gas type for my vehicle at Jack Giambalvo Mazda | Man putting gas in vehicle at gas station     
        

What to do next?

                

As you can tell, the options on the market are endless for consumers today. With the different brands and blends, it can be difficult to determine what you should be using in your vehicle. The next best steps are to consult a service advisor at your nearest Mazda dealership.

     
   
     
       
           

If you have questions about your specific vehicle and the gasoline it uses or if you would like to schedule your next appointment for service in your vehicle, please contact one of our staff members. If you have not been to Jack Giambalvo Mazda we are located at 2425 Industrial Hwy. York, PA 17402.